Username: Password:

Author Topic: Miracle Man is close, but...  (Read 218 times)

Potatohead

• Junior Flyweight
  • BKPs:
Miracle Man is close, but...
« on: October 16, 2020, 10:23:51 PM »
I have a Carvin CT4, mahogany body/neck and ash top that I recently put a Miracle Man bridge into. I also have a CS6 mahogany/maple top with a Cold Sweat set that I adore, I have had this setup for years. I play mostly 90's, 00's metal, mainly rhythm.

I was hoping the CT4 with MM would be more of the same with a slightly different flavor. I guess it mostly is, but I am not quite as happy with it. It's somewhat dark, and there is an inherent smoothness on power chords that simply lacks aggression. I have really had to play with pickup height and pole height a lot in order to get it to where I would call acceptable. I did hear this same type of thing with the original pickup in the CT4 so it is possible I am hearing a characteristic of the guitar I'm just not as fond of. Aside from that though I am finding I seem to prefer brighter pickups with not a ton of low end and lots of high mids so that chords really sear. The thing is I don't like a ton of fizz or presence which is why I tend to gravitate towards BKP in the first place. I get the sound I want with the CS6/Cold Sweat setup but not as much with the CT4/MM setup. It could absolutely be a maple vs ash top thing, I am not 100% sure.

Anyway, would the C-Bomb or something else have been a better choice than the MM? I am regretting not asking for more advice before pulling the trigger. The videos and what not I hear online of the MM sounded great.

Thanks

Dave Sloven

• Welterweight
    • Get our album here (alnico Black Hawks)
Re: Miracle Man is close, but...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 01:46:18 PM »
Sounds a bit like you want a Painkiller
BLACK HAWKS
IMPULSES
WAR PIGS
STOCKHOLM
COLD SWEATS
MIRACLE MAN

https://slovendoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Dave Sloven

• Welterweight
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 01:47:51 PM »
Rebel Yell could also be a good option.

BLACK HAWKS
IMPULSES
WAR PIGS
STOCKHOLM
COLD SWEATS
MIRACLE MAN

Telerocker

• Middleweight
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 12:55:01 PM »
I was thinking RY as well, but it is alnico.. If that is not your thing, I would go CS unless you want a different flavour than your other axe. No experience with the Painkiller.
Mules, VHII, Crawler, MM's, IT's, BG50's.

darrenw5094

• Lightweight
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 01:02:27 PM »
I was thinking RY as well, but it is alnico.. If that is not your thing, I would go CS unless you want a different flavour than your other axe. No experience with the Painkiller.

I had a painkiller in an ibanez j custom. Probably the middyest pup I ever heard. Chunky in the mids, can't imagine it would sound anything like the MM
BKP: Abraxas - Les Paul
Holy Diver - Charvel
Mule - Les Paul
Rebel Yell - Les Paul
VHII - PRS CU22
A-Bomb + Cold Sweat - Les Paul
Warpig - Caparison Horus

Potatohead

• Junior Flyweight
  • BKPs:
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 03:41:54 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure. I don't typically like a ton of mids, but a high mid bump is good. The more I play this guitar the more I think it is a sound inherent to it. It has a lot of low mids in the 400 hz or so range. I can dial it out with my eq pedal but it's so much easier to not have to mess with it every time I switch guitars. I do have this guitar in D standard as well which might not be helping.

The RY crossed my mind, but I also have two other CS's as well and I was going to save that for one of those. Mind you the pickup in those (Carvin M22SD) has kind of a bad rap and I love it, so who knows. I am hesitant to change those for that reason.

Dave Sloven

• Welterweight
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 09:41:11 AM »
If the guitar has a lot of bottom end and you don't want that crazy ceramic bright top end the Impulse is a good option. There are some strong similarities to the Rebel Yell and the VHII bridge pickups.

They sound pretty nice in this PRS, for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8MyXNAj_6E
BLACK HAWKS
IMPULSES
WAR PIGS
STOCKHOLM
COLD SWEATS
MIRACLE MAN